Δευτέρα 7 Δεκεμβρίου 2009

YIN AND YANG (2009).

Yin and Yang
This short film grew into an interactive audio/visual installation titled Unigenderse.
With various types of visual art, I intend to represent what I encounter, as well as present to my audience an interpretation of our surroundings. I have chosen perception as my focus. I use the mediums of digital video and photography, because of their malleability, which is also a characteristic of perception. I enjoy working with video because of its ability to incorporate both sound and image into a sensorial experience. I try to remind the viewer that things are not always what they seem. I believe that the trickery of such technology has begun to awaken us to this fact.
I observe and gather data, documenting and representing the worlds in which I find myself. Unigenderse examines the variability of gender roles by presenting excerpts of footage that I appropriated from feature films, television, and music videos. This interactive database shows obscured and/or switched gender, along with American feminine and masculine icons, from Marilyn Monroe to Arnold Schwarzenegger. I use the actors in such a way that they analyze themselves. I sorted and grouped these clips, according to stereotypical degrees of apparent gender and beauty. The purpose is to challenge the viewers' concepts of femininity and masculinity, while comparing the extreme Hollywood expressions to realistically unique or androgynous forms. Assorted audio clips of found dialogue correspond to the film's series of stereotypical images, while others question labels, prejudice, and identity. Representative of our culture, wall-mounted remote controls navigate the video and audio loops. The music wafting above represents Glam, Punk, New Wave, No Wave, and other Rock artists who have freed me to realize my totality.
I wish to show the natural unpredictability of human personae. I invite you to follow your path, observe your perception, and explore your gender universe. I believe that mysterious or otherwise "unconventional" appearances display the scientific fact that none of us are only one gender each. Therefore, taking on one lifelong binary tag in society is absurd. I suggest the concept that gender is fluid. Each human is both female and male, estrogen and testosterone, yin and yang, to varying degrees, at different times, by the year, day, or minute...

From: angeladams

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: